ABOUT
Presbyter  an Church Clogherney
Clogherney Presbyterian Church in Co. Tyrone is situated just off the A5 Ballygawley to Omagh Road  about 6 miles south of Omagh.   For Sat Nav or Google maps use BT79 0UR. Presbyterians have worshipped on or near this site for almost 300 years.  It is a church of approximately 140 families. A significant number of these come from the farming community, although our members are increasingly involved in many different areas of life. We have an active Missionary Committee and have links with Naomi Keefe in Brazil, Csaba and Ilona Veres in Romania and Stephen and Lesley-Ann Lockington in Corboy and Mullingar. During the week a range of organisations includes Indoor Bowling Club, Mid-week Bible Study and prayer Meeting, The Thursday Club, The Craft Club and Presbyterian Women’s Association.

History

Clogherney has a long history going back for almost 300 years. Although there were Presbyterians in the area as early as 1640 they did not have a permanent meeting house until 1720. During the interim they probably worshipped in a meeting house at Crevenagh, Omagh, erected about 1676, or they met in barns or in the open air, when they would have had occasional visits from a local minister. In those days our forebears were known as the Presbyterians of Termon McGurk, that being the name of the old historic parish in which they resided. They continued to be known as such for another 50 years. In 1720 the Synod of Ulster eventually allowed the request of the local Presbyterians to become a separate congregation on condition they build their own meeting house. This they did and in July 1721 Rev Joseph Hemphill was installed as the first minister. The first church building was erected in the townland of Laragh in a field now owned by the Cathers family. It was a very primitive building, long and narrow with a thatched roof and a floor of clay or stone. It served its purpose but over time it became both defective and inadequate. In 1776 the local landlord Armar Lowry Corry granted two roods of land in the townland of Dervaghroy as a site for the church and graveyard. The land was mapped by James Fenton of Raw, a member of the congregation. By 1780 a new church was erected in what is now the graveyard. It was a large building, T shaped in design and originally had a thatched roof. In this building large crowds gathered during the 1859 Revival. In 1897 Rev Thomas Martin was ordained and installed and it soon became apparent that the church building was in a poor state of repair. A decison was taken to erect a new church on the present site, donated by Andrew Clements of Dervaghroy. Mr Martin gave outstanding leadership, devoting himself with energy and enthusiasm, including three journeys to the USA to raise funds. Sadly Mr Martin, ‘a pastor greatly beloved by his people’, died in 1904 aged 29 years. The McKinney Memorial Hall was erected in 1979 and another suite of rooms were provided in 1992. 2016 saw the commencement of building for the church as is it now iwhich was completed October 2017. Ministerial Record Rev Joseph Hemphill                                            1721-1747 Rev Joseph Scott                                                   1752-1780 Rev James Kerr                                                      1781-1823 Rev Archibald Armstrong                                    1823-1849 Rev Joseph McCaskie                                           1850-1864 Rev Samuel Cochrane                                          1865-1891 Rev Thomas Alexander Smyth                           1891-1897 Rev Thomas Martin                                              1897-1904 Rev James Morrow Patterson                             1905-1926 Rev Adam Alexander Kirkpatrick                        1926-1932 Rev William Herbert Martin                                 1933-1940 Rev William George McKinney                            1941-1967 Rev Henry Gray                                                     1968-1973 Rev Henry  John Clarke                                         1974-1986 Rev Stephen Thomas Atkinson                           1988-1992 Rev Norman Scott Harrison                                 1994-2001 Rev Dr John William Lockington                          2003-2009 Norman Smyth                                                       2013-2019
ABOUT
Presbyter  an Church Clogherney
Email us
Clogherney Presbyterian Church in Co. Tyrone is situated just off the A5 Ballygawley to Omagh Road  about 6 miles south of Omagh.  For Sat Nav or Google maps use BT79 0UR. Presbyterians have worshipped on or near this site for almost 300 years. It is a church of approximately 140 families. A significant number of these come from the farming community, although our members are increasingly involved in many different areas of life. We have an active Missionary Committee and have links with Naomi Keefe in Brazil, Csaba and Ilona Veres in Romania and Stephen and Lesley-Ann Lockington in Corboy and Mullingar. During the week a range of organisations includes Indoor Bowling Club, Mid-week Bible Study and prayer Meeting, The Thursday Club, The Craft Club and Presbyterian Women’s Association.

History

Clogherney has a long history going back for almost 300 years. Although there were Presbyterians in the area as early as 1640 they did not have a permanent meeting house until 1720. During the interim they probably worshipped in a meeting house at Crevenagh, Omagh, erected about 1676, or they met in barns or in the open air, when they would have had occasional visits from a local minister. In those days our forebears were known as the Presbyterians of Termon McGurk, that being the name of the old historic parish in which they resided. They continued to be known as such for another 50 years. In 1720 the Synod of Ulster eventually allowed the request of the local Presbyterians to become a separate congregation on condition they build their own meeting house. This they did and in July 1721 Rev Joseph Hemphill was installed as the first minister. The first church building was erected in the townland of Laragh in a field now owned by the Cathers family. It was a very primitive building, long and narrow with a thatched roof and a floor of clay or stone. It served its purpose but over time it became both defective and inadequate. In 1776 the local landlord Armar Lowry Corry granted two roods of land in the townland of Dervaghroy as a site for the church and graveyard. The land was mapped by James Fenton of Raw, a member of the congregation. By 1780 a new church was erected in what is now the graveyard. It was a large building, T shaped in design and originally had a thatched roof. In this building large crowds gathered during the 1859 Revival. In 1897 Rev Thomas Martin was ordained and installed and it soon became apparent that the church building was in a poor state of repair. A decison was taken to erect a new church on the present site, donated by Andrew Clements of Dervaghroy. Mr Martin gave outstanding leadership, devoting himself with energy and enthusiasm, including three journeys to the USA to raise funds. Sadly Mr Martin, ‘a pastor greatly beloved by his people’, died in 1904 aged 29 years. The McKinney Memorial Hall was erected in 1979 and another suite of rooms were provided in 1992. 2016 saw the commencement of building for the church as is it now which was completed October 2017. Ministerial Record Rev Joseph Hemphill                                            1721-1747 Rev Joseph Scott                                                   1752-1780 Rev James Kerr                                                      1781-1823 Rev Archibald Armstrong                                    1823-1849 Rev Joseph McCaskie                                           1850-1864 Rev Samuel Cochrane                                          1865-1891 Rev Thomas Alexander Smyth                           1891-1897 Rev Thomas Martin                                              1897-1904 Rev James Morrow Patterson                             1905-1926 Rev Adam Alexander Kirkpatrick                        1926-1932 Rev William Herbert Martin                                 1933-1940 Rev William George McKinney                            1941-1967 Rev Henry Gray                                                     1968-1973 Rev Henry  John Clarke                                         1974-1986 Rev Stephen Thomas Atkinson                           1988-1992 Rev Norman Scott Harrison                                 1994-2001 Rev Dr John William Lockington                         2003-2009 Norman Smyth                                                      2013_2019